Long Gone Madison
In the spring of 2004, our 8xCH. Long Gone Agnes was bred to 5x CH. Grouse Ridge Reroy again. (this cross has already produced CH. and RU CH Grouse Ridge Maxima, 2x CH and 2 x RU CH Long Gone Nixon, 2007 USCSDA National Amateur Champion Kellys Rainbow Heidi plus many other winners!) We kept a black and white female pup we called Madison. At 10 weeks old we put her on birds, and she pointed them like her mamma did at that age, and we knew we had another “keeper”.
“Maddy” was worked on liberated birds all summer
and taken to the woods and hunted hard on wild
birds all that fall where she had, many, many grouse
and woodcock shot over her points.. Maddy was sent
south with Dave Hughes that winter as we did not
want her development hindered by harsh NH winters.
Dave worked her on both wild and liberated birds in
PA and his southern Ohio trainning grounds at Kelly Shepards “Rainbow Kennels”. In the spring of 2005
Madison was run in her first field trial, The Grand National Grouse Puppy Classic. I could not run her as I
was scouting her Mamas day three call back in the
Grouse and Woodcock Invitational Championship
about two miles away, but asked old friend, Timmy
Post to run her for me, he said “sure”, he had never
run her before, Maddy got second over a large and talented field. Maddy also placed in the Mike Robinson
Open Derby Classic in Maine that spring. I was judging
the Garfield Wall/ Clif Hale Open Derby Classic at the
same time, so asked Mike Flewelling to run Maddy for
me, he did and got second.
n the fall of 2005 Madison began her derby career. Dave Hughes took her to Rhode Island to run in the Joel Collier Open Derby Classic, and ran in the heat of the day, had two finds and won the stake with no runner up named! I won the White Mountain Open Derby Classic with her and placed her in the Bill Kearns Open Derby Classic also. Tony Bly took her to New Brunswick for me and ran her in the North American Woodcock Futurity where he placed her with a three woodock find performance. John Adsit won the coveted “Miss Leslie” Woodcock Open Derby Classic” with her the next week with a great two find effort, and he had never run her before !
Maddy was brought home and hunted daily in the fall of 2005, and again sent south with Dave Hughes for the winter. In the spring of 2006 Madison placed second in the National Walking Shooting Dog Futurity and also placed many other times that spring on both wild and liberated birds including horseback wins in New York State. In the fall of 2006 Madison placed in both the Kilkenny Open Shooting Dog Classic and the New England Open Grouse Championship and was hunted hard on wild birds. In the spring of 2007, In Fryberg, Maine,as a first year shooting dog, Madison won the Region One Amateur Walking Shooting Dog Championship with a 8 find, two back, performance, and one of the finds was a grouse.
In consecutive trials in the fall of 2007, Madison was named Runner Up in the Southern New England Open Woodcock Championship (54 dogs) Winner of the New York Grouse Championship (53 dogs) Winner of the New England Open Grouse Championship (34 dogs) and Winner of the North American Woodcock Championships in New Brunswick, Canada. This run of consecutive events was a thrill remininsent of her mammas run in 1998 of three championships and a runner up in four consecutive events.
Only time a female who has won both of the top cover dog awards in the woods ( 8x CH Long Gone Agnes) has also produced a winner of both of these prestigious awards ( 5x CH Long Gone Madison)
Winner 2008 William Harden Foster Award ( top cover dog, any breed in U.S and Canada) Winner 2008 Seminatore award, Top English Setter Cover Dog in U.S and Canada We are very proud of CH. Long Gone Madison and enjoy shooting birds over her points as much as winning championships with her. Long Gone Madison was bred to Long Gone Murphy, November, 2008.
7x CH Long Gone Madison Career Highlights
• 2005 Grand National Grouse Puppy Classic (Rhode Island ); Second
• 2005 Winner; New Hampshire Amateur Puppy Classic (NH)
• 2005 Mike Robinson Open Puppy Classic (Maine)
• 2005 Winner; Joel Collier Open Derby Classic (No Runner Up named)
• 2005 Winner; White Mountain Open Derby Classic. (Kilkenny )
• 2005 North American Woodcock Futurity. Third 3 Woodcock Finds (Haverlock, New Brunswick, Canada)
• 2005 Winner; “Miss Leslie Open Woodcock Derby Classic “ Naciwick, New Brunswick
• 2006 National Walking Shooting Dog Futurity. (PA) Second
• 2006 Winner; Granite State Open Shooting Dog Classic, one hour. ( Phillips Brook )
• 2006 White Mountain Open Derby Classic. Third. Phillips Brook
• 2006 Lost Pond Open horseback derby. Second. Oxford, New York
• 2006 Northern NH BDC, Amateur All Age. First. One grouse, one woodcock and one quail find in 30 minutues. Single course trail. Phillips Brook, NH.
• Kilkenny Open Shooting Dog Classic one hour. third. One Grouse and one woodcock find
• 2006 New England Open Grouse Championship. Second.
• 2007 Winner and Champion; Region One Amateur Walking Shooting Dog Championship. 6 quail, one grouse find and two backs.(Brownfield Management area, Maine.)
• 2007 Runner Up Granite State Open Shooting Dog Classic.( NH)
• 2007 Runner Up, Southern New England Open Woodcock Championship. (Arcadia, R.I.)
• 2007 Winner, and Champion New York Open Grouse Championship, 2 grouse finds.(Patridge Run, N.Y.)
• 2007 Winner, and Champion New England Open Grouse Championship. One grouse brood, one woodcock find (Kilkenny, White Mountain National Forest )
• 2007 Winner and Champion, North American Woodcock Championship. One grouse and one woodcock find. (Haverlock, New Brunswick, Canada)
• Winner and recipient: 2008 William Harden Foster Top Cover Dog Award any breed. (Madison’s mama won this in 1999, 8xCH Long Gone Agnes.Only time a Winner has produced a Winner of this award)
• Winner and Recipient: 2008 Mike Seminatore Setter Cover Dog Award (Her Dam won this award also in 1999)
• Winner, New England Open Shooting Dog of The Year.
• 2008 Winner and Champion; New England Open Grouse Championship. 3 grouse finds. Did not run any more trials that fall…was hunted and bred. Whelped a litter, late Jan., 2009
• Winner; 2009 Kilkenny Open Shooting Dog Classic. 3 grouse finds. (Phillips Brook , NH )
• Runner Up 2009 Northeast Open Grouse Championship. Moosehorn Wildlife Area, Calais, Maine)
• Runner Up 2009 North American Open Woodcock Championship (her littermate sister, CH Oscalla Allie Cat won it!)
• Runner Up 2009 Grand National Grouse Championship ( Marionville, PA.)
• Runner Up 2010 Kilkenny Shooting Dog Classic, 2 woodcock, 1 grouse find.( Phillips Brook)
• Winner and recipient ; 2010 William Harden Foster Top Cover Dog award.
• Winner and recipient : 2010 Mike Seminatore Setter Cover Dog Award – Only dog in history to win these awards more then once
• Winner and Champion ; 86 th New England Open Grouse Championship. 3 grouse finds. (Berlin, NH, Kilkenny )
• Runner Up , 2010 North American Open Woodcock Championship . 2 grouse finds. (Havelock, New Brunswick, Canada )
• Winner and National Champion. 2010 International Amateur Woodcock Championship, 2 grouse and 1 woodcock find. (Debec, New Brunswick, Canada)
• Runner Up, 2010 Penn. Open Grouse Championship (Marionville, PA)
• Runner Up, 2010 Grand National Grouse Championship ( Berlin, NH)
• Winner and recipient 2011 William Harden Foster Top Cover Dog Award
• Winner and recipient; Mike Seminatore Setter Cover Dog Award – Madison won both of these National awards for the Top Grouse Dog in the US and Canada, for an unprecedented, Third Time. Out of her 14 titles won, 8 were grouse only championships and out of the remaining 6, she pointed grouse in 4 of them also!
• First dog in over 30 years to place in back to back Grand National Grouse Championships (2009 and 2010)
• Retired in 2010 with 7 Championships and 7 runner ups, 13 of these titles were on grouse and woodcock. The most of any dog in history.